Because of its size, halibut is cut into slices and sold in the form of steaks. Halibut slices are often sauteed, but they make a delicious dish when baked with tomatoes and flavored with onion, lemon, and bay leaf.
2 lb. halibut steak
2 c. tomatoes
1 sm. yellow onion (sliced)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 thin slices bacon
1 Tb. flour
Optional – add other veggies of your choice (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc.)
- Heat the tomatoes, onion, and bay leaf in water.
- Add the salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Cut the bacon into small squares, fry it in a medium fry pan, and into this fat stir the flour. Pour this into the hot mixture, remove the bay leaf, and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Put the halibut steaks into a baking dish, pour the sauce over them, and bake in a slow oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove with the sauce to a hot platter and serve.